9.23.2014

My first job...

My first job out of college was working at a property management company. I started off as a file clerk. I thought, I could do this job. Not too bad. Then when there was an opening for accounts receivable I took the position. I didn't know accounting, but it was a computer system that you used anyways.

Each month at the beginning all you did was just open envelopes and code rent checks. Then there was the tedious task of stamping or endorsing all of those checks and creating deposit slips for them. Oh how that drove me insane when my adding didn't match the system. I'd sit and figure it out and it took me forever. At that point, I thought, I couldn't do this anymore.

It was a job where I learned about rent, evictions, rent increases, and how a heartless boss didn't care or appreciate what she had. I can still remember it being one of the first five days of the month and it was past 2.00pm. I didn't even eat lunch yet, but I still worked through it since all checks had to be deposited by 2.00pm.

My heartless boss didn't care I didn't eat lunch. At that point, that's when I stopped caring. I left the office and enjoyed my lunch away from the office. I can't be sitting in the same area where she didn't know my name and didn't care I didn't have lunch and was starving.

I worked there for a couple of years. Maybe three. I left when I found another job. I just couldn't stand to be there any more, where a heartless women didn't care I didn't have lunch and was starving.

The funniest part was when after I left she sent me an email saying they were looking for my replacement. I laughed. I couldn't believe she sent me that email. She thought I would refer someone to her? Work under those conditions? I don't think I ever really got a bonus except when I first started and told the owner of the company I was going to go on vacation. I think that was the one and only time I felt wanted.

I only kept in touch with someone from there who also left. The others, I have no idea what happen to them.

I thought this was something I wanted to pursue, but in the end, my supervisor left a bad taste in my mouth and I decided that it was great to have that knowledge, but property management isn't my thing.