3.24.2006

First Day of Spring Training...

I didn't get a good night's sleep, but that's ok. I had just enough rest that I could watch the whole game. I know that sounds somewhat impossible, but that's what happened. I saw a game with most of the starters. I saw some great double plays. Omar and Ray pulled off a few. Barry went to bat 4 times and left after the 7th inning. He didn't hit any home runs, but it was good to see him out there. They had the "40 or almost 40" outfield. They replaced everyone at once with Linden in left, Ellison in center, and Ortmeier in right.

They kept Sweeney in the whole game. I think they kept Ray in the whole game too. There was one error made by Sweeney that really made me cringe. I hope that's his first one and not the last during Spring Training so that when the real season starts he won't have any of those errors.

Also during the game I learned a few things:
Vendors who sell lemonade sell the following colors: red, blue, and yellow.
Vendors who sell beer: have to carry around 3 large buckets of it around along with peanuts.
There are no soda vendors.
There are no Cracker Jack vendors.
There are no cotton candy vendors.
There are no Red Vine vendors.
During the 7th inning stretch they sing the song, Take Me Out To the Ball Game two times.
They do "smooth" the dirt every 3 innings.
They have a Giants Dugout at the park.
They sell fresh fruit and salad at the park.
They have the same giant baseballs outside the park like the ones near the mini field near SBC Park.

The weather was nice and I enjoyed the time at the park. I was able to see most of it just by walking around. I also was able to sit in two different sections. This was the hardest part. I was along the left field when the game started but then after the first inning I walked around then sat along right and that just tripped me out fro the rest of the game. I had sat along right before, but when you're just used to sitting along left it's kind of strange.

I didn't have anything to eat because I was warned there wasn't anything good to eat. So nothing was eaten at the park, but that was fine with me. The prices are similar to the ones at SBC Park. Lemonade was $5.00 and beer in a bottle was $6.00. I don't know how much the beer is at the ballpark in a bottle, but that's how much it was here.

I walked to the park and back. The walk was pleasant, but there were many people in ORANGE! It was like it was ORANGE Friday here. OK today is FRIDAY and that ORANGE Friday was done at SBC, but here I've heard it all the time. I followed the "ORANGE" brick road back. It's amazing how many people are here for Spring Training. I never thought I'd do this, but I am NOW!

After getting back to the hotel and then driving by the player's parking lot I see Ray Durham talking to people. DAMN! I wish I had the picture for him to sign. I have a few more days. I'm good to go if I do that later on.

Final Score
Rockies 4
Giants 6

Horoscope: To gain a sense of accomplishment today, clean up the clutter around your home. Your fortitude in a challenging situation wins friends and influences people -- and your old friends learn to love you even more than they already do. In fact, your considerable courage also wins you the attentions of a secret admirer.
Reading:
Watching:
Listening to:
Thinking about:
Mood:
Your $0.02