2.23.2010

Commuting pet peeves...

Every morning it's the same thing, just different stupid people. I've observed that some drivers who drive the light rail cars will either open all the doors or just the one door in which people need to pay. I don't know which way is more efficient, but as someone who has used this form of public transit I get it. I've been riding the light rail system since I started middle school. That has been since 1992 or 1993.

The old street cars or light rail cars you has to enter through the front door and all the side doors were for exiting only. However, they slowly retired the older ones and are now using the current silver French made ones.

Now back to my issue with people and doors. If a door is closing and someone uses a foot or arm or anything to keep the door from closing it will make a high pitch noise. This isn't pleasant and if you're half awake in the morning even more annoying. The next issue I have is that while the people are trying to get off they don't know that they have to press the bar to open. If everyone did that and held the doors open, they wouldn't be out of service nor make that high pitch beep.

My second thing is when the driver chooses not to open all the doors to let everyone on or off at the same time people don't know how to press the button outside of the car to open the door. I've noticed that they all run to the door that's open and hope it stays open. Also when the doors don't open automatically and it's open from the inside no one seems to understand you need to hold the bar to keep the door from closing. I've had the door almost close on me because people don't understand that concept.

Now I'm assuming that everyone that rides the light rail knows how to open the door from the outside and the inside. If you're going to stand by the door at least press the bar and keep the door open so people can get on or off. If you're just going to stand there and do nothing then move away from the door. I can't stand those that just move to be close to the door and don't do anything to let people off.

So the moral of this bitching and moaning is that: use the bar on the inside of the light rail to OPEN the door. Use the button on the outside of the door to OPEN the door. I swear sometimes you wonder if the people getting on in the morning have a brain or if they left it at home. I'm sure it's not their first time riding the light rail so keep the fucking door open!

Horoscope: Take charge and make it happen. You can get more done than you think at the moment.