1.27.2003

Orientation...Macs or PCs?

The first day of school, it did not feel like it that was for sure. It is as if I was on holiday and this is some sort of dream. We just had a brief orientation on where everything was. We were shown the computer labs, which were full of Macs, and we were warned there were mostly Macs, but I did not see any PCs except the ones that the card catalog is on. Once orientation was finished, some of us headed off to eat Thai food. There we sat and just had fun and told stories about each of our families. We are loud Americans or those that I was walking with. I walked faster and ahead of them because frankly, they embarrassed me.

When I left everyone, I headed off to the town’s library because I was dying to use a computer for e-mail. It is one of the hardest things to live without. I had to check to see if I had gotten any new messages, and to e-mail my family that I got here all right and in one piece. It was funny because later in the evening my mom called me up and asked why I have not called. I said I could find a phone card, which was somewhat true and that I do not know how to dial up to the states.