3.16.2005

Some past Giants moments...09/14/04

09/14/2004 8:00 AM ET
Ask the Giants: Numbers game
By Chris Shuttlesworth / MLB.com

This is the last edition of Ask the Giants for the 2004 season. Thanks for all your great questions.

Q: Why do you wear the number that you do? -- Dana S., Palo Alto


Brett Tomko (No. 50)
: I've always been an increment of 10. So I've been 40, 20, 30 and 50. I've kind of kept it going.

Edgardo Alfonzo (No. 13):
That was the number they gave me when I started, and I just kept it.

Scott Eyre (No. 49):
That's the number Murph (Giants equipment manager Mike Murphy) gave to me. That's what number I got here in August of 2002. I was 29 in Toronto, and that Jason Schmidt guy wears it. And I didn't want to be 36 again, so I was glad they gave me 49. I've been hurt twice and treated once wearing [numbers in] the 30s.

Q: What is Jason Schmidt's routine for the days he pitches? Does he eat the same foods or any other repeated routine? -- Glenn V., Sacramento

Schmidt: Yeah, I eat French toast for breakfast. That's it, really.

Q: To Pierzynski: Did you want to be a catcher since you were small, and what catcher was your inspiration? -- Tom B, Castro Valley

A.J. Pierzynski: I've always caught, so I guess I did want to be a catcher [when I was young]. I didn't really have a catcher as an inspiration. I was a Braves fan growing up, so I was more like a Dale Murphy guy, because he was the big star at the time.

Q: Which player on an opposing team do you just love to watch? -- Steven M., Windsor

Dustan Mohr:
I like watching Eric Byrnes [of Oakland]. He plays the game hard. He's all-out. I have a lot of respect for the way he plays.

Q: For Cody Ransom: What do you look for in a glove and what model do you use? -- Ken M., Roseville

Ransom:
It's a Rawlings. It feels good, and since I've used the same model ever since I got drafted, I don't have to look for a different model anymore. I know I like that model. I just like the way it breaks in to my hand.

Q: How do players, especially pitchers, adapt to extreme weather changes, such as the humidity and heat in Atlanta? -- Pamela K., Ashland, Ore.

Kirk Rueter: I don't know if you can really adapt. Trainers usually [prepare] like ammonia water and try to zap you when you come off the field. Usually, instead of sitting on the bench, you go sit down in the tunnel. They'll have fans down there or something to keep you cool. And that's about it. Otherwise, you just kind of go with it.

Q: Who inspired Brett Tomko to draw and at what age? Does he ever make any drawings to display in his house? -- Ryan N., Tracy

Tomko:
My mom forced me to take an art class in high school. I didn't want to, but she asked me just to take one year, and one year turned into seven straight, going into college.

I have a few things [I like to display]. I just got a new house, so I'm in the process of deciding what I've already done that's going to go up or what new stuff I'm going to put up.

Note: Some of Tomko's artwork will be auctioned as part of "An Evening of Art with Brett Tomko" on Sept. 26 at the Ballpark Gallery and VIXI Caffe.

Q: Do the Giants own their own transportation? If not, then how is it arranged? -- Judy C., San Francisco

Reggie Younger Jr., director of travel: No, it's arranged through me.

Q: Now that (new broadcaster) Dave Flemming has visited all 18 ballparks the Giants will play at (other than SBC Park) this year, which of the 18 is his favorite? Does he have a least favorite? -- Jacob W., San Francisco

Flemming: My favorite ballpark other than ours is Wrigley Field in Chicago, because I'm partial to the old-time ballparks. I think that's what really good about our yard here [in San Francisco] is that it's got all the new stuff but it feels like an old-time place with the brickwork everywhere. I think Wrigley is the authentic real deal. It's not just the park, it's the fans and the experience of walking up Waveland and seeing the Cubs fans waving their flags, and being in downtown Chicago and having everybody talk about baseball, like they do here in downtown San Francisco. So that's why I love Wrigley.

I think my least favorite park, not including [Hiram Bithorn Stadium in] San Juan, is Shea Stadium. New York is fabulous; it's so much fun to go to New York and be there in such a great baseball town. And to go out to Shea Stadium and see that place, which is probably the worst stadium in the league, is more depressing because you're in New York and you expect it to be glitzy and glamorous, and it's not real nice. I also don't like that apple that comes up when they hit a home run.

Q: I understand (broadcaster) Mike Krukow plays guitar, bringing it along on road trips. What style does he play? Who else on the Giants is musically gifted? -- Dave F., Atherton

Krukow: I play everything, more blues and classic rock. Occasionally a little folk -- my wife likes that. Jason Schmidt brings one [a guitar on road trips]. Jim Brower brings one. Barry Bonds plays, too.

Q: How do outfielders feel about hecklers? -- James D., San Francisco


Mohr: Most of the time, you can't even hear them, really. Fans pay money to come see the game. They have the right to heckle if they want, just as long as it's clean. The only time I get really irritated is if they're using foul language and there's a bunch of kids up there and stuff.

Q: Where do all the broken bats used by players go? -- Charles M., Hanford

Derik Landry, director of retail operations: Broken bats are sent to the Giants' mail order warehouse and sold at the Giants Dugout stores, during FanFests and through mail order. Prices for current Giants players range from $35-$150. Giants mail order can be reached at 800-442-6873.

Q: A.J., what kind of preparation is done one on one with the starting pitcher prior to gametime, especially regarding the opposing lineup? -- Steve L., San Francisco

Pierzynski: We just sit down and go through the lineup and talk about each hitter, how we're going to try to tackle them.

Q: I love Matt Herges' energy on the mound. I was wondering whether he had to do something in particular to get himself pumped up before he goes out there or if he is just naturally like that? -- Valerie P., Castro Valley

Herges: I'm an emotional person. I have a lot of emotion, and I actually have to consciously tune it down, because I do get emotional and excited. I appreciate the compliment, but I'm just a little more emotional than some people. I think they're used to watching Robb Nen, who's right here [on an even keel] the whole time, and I want to be more like that.

Q: Do you get the baseball cards companies make of you for free? -- Dylan R., Mesa, Ariz.


Kirk Rueter: Yeah, they usually give us like a hundred of them. They'll put a stack in your locker, usually in Spring Training. This year's cards, they'll put in our locker (during) next year's Spring Training. I got a bunch at home.

Questions may be edited for clarity and/or length. Chris Shuttlesworth is an editorial producer for MLB.com. This story was not subject to the approval of Major League Baseball or its clubs.
print this page