6.19.2005

Some past Giants moments...06/17/04

06/17/2004 8:00 AM ET
Ask the Giants: Keeping it clean
By Chris Shuttlesworth / MLB.com

Got a question for Ask the Giants? Submit your queries of general interest for a Giants player, coach, staff or front-office member and see if your question gets answered in a future edition of Giants Jottings.

Why do the pitchers kinda hop over the foul lines? -- Jan J., Kelseyville

Matt Herges: I don't know about anybody else, but for me, you're wearing spikes and the foul lines are so nice and neat and clean, when you put your cleats in it as you walk, it kind of uproots some of the line. And I guess I'm kind of anal-retentive anyway, kind of a neat freak, so I don't like to mess up that line. I know Jerome (Williams) is very particular about stepping over the line, and I know Hermy (Dustin Hermanson) does, too. They may have different reasons. I know for me I just want to keep it clean.

Hermanson: It's just for the same reason some pitchers eat the same meal the night before they pitch every time. It's just kind of a superstition, I guess.

Kruk, where'd you come up with phrase, "Grab some pine, Meat!"? -- Frita C., Carlsbad

Mike Krukow: It's been around baseball forever. "Sit down," "grab some pine," "sit down," "grab some pine." And "Meat" has been around since Babe Ruth. "Meat!" It's just dugout stuff.

How do they clean the seating areas in SBC Park after a game? When I arrive the stands are always so clean! -- Mike S., El Sobrante

Jorge Costa, senior vice president, ballpark operations: First, all seating areas in the ballpark are swept from top to bottom. The garbage is picked up, bagged and trucked to the garbage compactor. The recycling is done and garbage dumped into the compactor and picked up by our garbage company. The seating areas are then power-washed using high-powered hoses that concentrate water to wash away a variety of debris, etc. Once that is done, seats are wiped and further detailing is done throughout the day in all locations until the gates open for that days event. It's kind of an ongoing Groundhog Day at the park.

A.J., what is your absolute favorite movie and CD? -- Lauren S., Lino Lakes, Minn.

A.J. Pierzynski: My favorite movie is "Scarface," and CD is -- I don't know. I don't really have one.

Why do the Giants sit in the third-base dugout at SBC Park? They used to be in the first-base dugout at Candlestick and I thought that National League teams all were in the first-base dugouts at home while American League teams were in the third-base dugout at home. -- Blake P., Eugene, Ore.

Staci Slaughter, vice president, communications: The location of the home team dugouts varies. We switched dugouts when we moved to SBC Park because the sightlines are much better from the third-base side as it enables the manager to see the entire playing field. There's also more room on the King Street side of the building to have a bigger home clubhouse.

Dustan, who or what helped you to adjust to moving here and getting all set up in town? Do the Giants help you out or do you do it yourself? -- John J., San Mateo

Dustan Mohr: The Giants help you out. They gave me the resources that I would need, and that just allowed me to take care of it on my own. They point you in the right direction; then the rest was up to me. It was an easy transition.

How do the Giants room when they are on the road? Do they always have the same roommate or do they switch? -- Alex R., San Francisco

Reggie Younger Jr., director of travel: The players do not have roommates on the road during the Championship Season (the regular season). All players have single rooms.

Is there somewhere in the park I can donate a glove outside of the promo they did for the Junior Giants? I have some old stuff I am not using any more, but is still usable. I was unable to attend during the promo. -- Penny I., Petaluma

Paul Giuliacci, associate director, Giants Community Fund: Gloves can still be donated to the Junior Giants program by dropping them off at the SBC Park Guest Services office or the KNBR kiosk, both located on the Promenade Level.

What do you do with all the posters and cardboard cutouts of the players in the ballpark when you get new ones? Do you ever give them away and how can a fan receive one? -- Ana P., Bay Point

Missy Mikulecky, photography/archives manager: We fold them up and keep them very nice and put them in the archives for use at another time. Sometimes the street banners are sold at the KNBR Giants FanFests. The player cutouts usually belong to KNBR and have been offered at FanFest "garage sales."

Questions may be edited for clarity and/or length. Chris Shuttlesworth is an editorial producer for MLB.com. This story was not subject to the approval of Major League Baseball or its clubs.