11.19.2005

Baseball As America...

Was an interesting exhibit in Oakland. If you ever wondered what kind of equipment they invented for he game then I'd recommend you going there. It started off with both local teams the Giants and the Athletics. Of course, the sore spot has to be the 1989 World Series trophy. I had never seen one before in person and the only ones I have seen are on TV. You know like when they give away the Super Bowl one and there's always the question: "(Name of person and name of team) You have just won the Super Bowl, what are you going to do next?"

I thought about changing the trophy to have it say Giants on it, but then thought better. The item I think I want was maybe some Omar Vizquel salsa. I swear it's real! I'm trying to land some from the Cleveland fans. I saw other items, but this really stood out. I liked how there was a letter that was really touching sent to Hank Aaron when he broke the record by Babe Ruth. The letter was really touching. It was from a guy who explained how he couldn't have children and when he did he named the son after Hank Aaron. That almost brought me to tears. Just thinking about the letter now makes me want to cry. I saw Jackie Robinson's Dodger jersey. It was like looking at a piece of history.

I also saw the scouting report for Mark McGuire. The funny part was they had the sign to hide his weaknesses, but it showed all of his strengths. He was drafted right out of high school. I hope I have the right person. I also saw the different types of season tickets they had in the past. Some were charms and that isn't a bad idea. I mean if they had that now it would be easier on the ticket takers. I think that it would be hard to tell which ticket is fake or not.

I saw pictures from the Battle of the Bay and different ads that showed that San Francisco wanted a baseball team. They had the San Francisco Seals jersey and it was super sweet looking. I saw the world's most expensive baseball card. See the card here. I saw a Mickey Mantle card. There was so much information there that I just soaked up like a sponge. There were pieces from movies and food that players endorsed. I mean all that information was great.

The cap that Juan Marichal and Gaylord Perry for their milestones and even an autograph Barry Bonds baseball #597. There was just so much there. The old seats from some of the ball parks that aren't there anymore. The demo of how to throw a knuckle ball, curve ball, fastball, and sinker? I'm not sure about the last one, but they have the first three for sure. You could also see the different bats and how they evolved. If you can go check out the exhibit I would suggest you do it. It's Cooperstown but closer.

Oh the neatest thing that I saw today was this:
Here are some pictures I found online of the exhibit. Pictures were NOT ALLOWED:






Horoscope: You've got some hot stuff on your plate right now -- deal with it quickly. Balancing the needs of a personal relationship with your work duties isn't usually as stressful for you as it is for the rest of us; you're good at it. But at the moment, it may take a bit more effort. Be prepared to stay up late.
Reading:
Watching:
Listening to:
Thinking about:
Mood:
Your $0.02