3.14.2003

A long day in Paris...

The next day we head to Notre Dame again. I was the one that was leading. I had the map and made sure we were headed the right way. I took charge and made it my mission not to mess up going. It was easier going there in the day than in the night because at least you could see the street signs. First, we looked about Notre Dame. The inside you could see how high the ceilings were. It is also quite a long church as well. After seeing all of that we met and all headed over to the Lourve. It is huge! I mean my feet were tired after walking around. If I had sat down, I knew I would not get back up. At least I saw a few Monet̢۪s. They were what I wanted to see. One painting he did was breath taking. I do not know what word to use, but up close it did not look like much. However once you stepped back and looked at it, it could pass as a photograph. That was impressive. Pointilism was what it was. We left the Louvre and headed towards a park. Once out there was a cart that sold crepes. They were yummy! Not filling, but something to eat at least. The rest of the group went to Eiffel Tower to check it out. I was going to be on my way to pick up the wallet.

Once we got off at the correct stop, we had to figure out which street it was we had to head to. We got there 10 minutes before it closed. We tried to explain to them that I was the daughter, but they said that I needed a letter from my mom saying I would be the one to pick it up. It was a waste. Afterwards we headed back towards Luxemburg Park to meet up with the others. We were in the park just sitting there and enjoying the scenery. It was beautiful. It was sunny, but not warm since the sun was setting, but still nice. The best part of the park I would say is the fountain. It gave the illusion that it was long, but it was not. The walls on the sides gave that effect. It was nice. I did not know that that park had a mini statue of liberty. I saw flowers dried with this unique technique of using oils. They look beautiful. So life like as if the life was still going. I saw the Sorbonne, which is a large university. I saw the Latin quarter where students hang out.

For dinner, it was Vietnamese. It was nice to have rice. After dinner, we walked around some more and saw a cathedral that had some of the paint that most cathedrals have removed. It is hard to imagine it with all of its paint still on. Everything looks clean and beautiful with it off, but on, with the proper lights I am sure it would look every bit as beautiful. I got to walk around the old parts of Paris. It was nice. I saw where Shakespeare, Dickens, and others hung out. Then it was off to my hotel.

Once back at the hotel I watched TV to find millionaire was on. I suppose it is a lot harder to try to guess the answer if you do not know French. So I relaxed a bit and then found Tonya and Maria coming back to tell me Jessica was missing. We tried to ask for directions to the police station. We finally headed off somewhere and ran into some Americans. One of them was studying in Paris and knew French. That helped a lot once we finally found a police station. However, once there we were told that if the person was lost in that part you have to report it to the police there. So were we just baffled at that. At least we found that out, but it did not do us any good at all.