7.21.2004

I have a diploma!

I arrived on time to the appointment and was even early. I thought the sooner I could get it over with the sooner I could go home. The day was hot and my tasks were many with a lot of walking. I went to meet with my graduation evaluator and she was pretty cool. She said that even though I have a D in my elective it should not affect my Then she asked me if I wanted now or in the mail. Instead of waiting for it in the mail I decided to received it today. I was so happy! It made it official to be a graduate.

I remembered that my brother told me that Beethoven's hair was at my school. I thought why not go and look for it. It would be my last time at the library unless I had a reason to go. It was neat seeing a lock of Beethoven's hair. I had no idea there was a lock of his hair at my school. There were also pianos that were old in the center as well. Here is a picture of the lock of hair.

The history of the hair:
The original provenance of the lock of hair is clear from an inscription written on the back of the frame of the locket: "This hair was cut off of Beethoven's corpse by my father, Dr. Ferdinand v. Hiller, on the day after Ludwig van Beethoven's death, that is, on 27 March 1827, and was given to me as a birthday present in Cologne on May 1, 1883. Paul Hiller [English translation]." Ferdinand Hiller was a German conductor and teacher who traveled to Vienna in 1827 at the age of fifteen to visit the dying Beethoven on his death bed. Hiller later wrote down details of two of his visits (March 13 and 20), including the fact that during the March 20 visit Beethoven whispered "I rather think I shall soon be setting out on the upward journey." The lock of hair stayed in the Hiller family until sometime in the 20th century. It next surfaced in 1943 when it was given to a Danish doctor named Kay Alexander Fremming as payment for providing medical treatment for Jews trying to escape from the Nazis. The lock of hair stayed in the Fremming family until it was sold at auction at Sotheby's in December 1994.

I did go to Fantasia and had a black tea with pearls. It was good. The tapioca was chewy and sweet. Probably the last time I will be drinking it from there. I doubt I will have a chance to go back. It was good that I had a friend in the car so that I could use the carpool lane but it really did not make a difference. Well I think I might have an early night because I had a semi early day. I kept waking up every two hours since about 8.00 a.m.

Horoscope: Hike up this mountain, but make sure you're prepared. Bring plenty of water.
Reading:
Watching: The Tonight Show with Jay Leno
Listening to:
Thinking about: Job
Mood: tired
Article of the day: Dog Runs For City Job